Sunday, September 9, 2007

Family News Letter - September

This is my little update i'm going to send to my mom for our family newsletter. I guess i should keep it kinda short.

Greetings from Salt Lake

I feel fairly weird writing a newsletter since it's always been one of those things that older people did, like college and home teaching, but I'm doing that too now, which is odd. So far I'm enjoying the Utah life quite a bit. It's gorgeous outside right now, cool and dry, two things that are almost always missing in Mississippi. It's been great to be able to spend time with Cami, especially since I'm only just getting to know people on a 'hang out on the weekend' basis, and i think I'm saving around $100 by borrowing her washing machine. It's great to know I'm only a short drive away from extended family, and I'm looking forward to visiting Grandma and Grandpa, which looks like it will be next week.

I've gotten all set up in my ward, I even received a calling last week. I'm the Elder's Quorum Pianist, which surprised me a little bit, only because I didn't realize they knew I played the piano. The most difficult part of this is making it to church on time, since somehow waking up at 8am is difficult for me now, but I'm slowly getting better at it (today i overslept and missed Priesthood. I felt awful, but the first day I found myself utterly lost in the Labyrinth that is the Institute building, and didn't find my ward until Sacrament meeting, so I'm making progress) I was divvied up into a Family for Family Home Evening, and it seems like there are some pretty cool people in there, so I'm looking forward to that.

Otherwise I've mostly been enjoying college and Salt Lake. I was able to go to a fireside in the Tabernacle; and although the fireside turned out to be a drive to get me to join a fraternity, it was amazing to be in the Tabernacle. It's much smaller than it looked on TV, or maybe i'm bigger. That's about all that's going on here. I'll keep all of you updated as things unfold.

The Newest Utah Perkes (i think)
Ammon

~~~~

So yeah, that also, incidentally, is the gist of what's been going on the past few weeks.

Also today i had a fireside and met some people and that was fun, today was one of the first day i didn't feel like i was socially deprived, which is a nice change that i plan on keeping up. Otherwise, it's all quiet on the Western Front, hold tight my eastern bound readers (and cami, who i suppose is a south west of me)

~Jupiter
(from The Planets)

5 comments:

caitlin said...

What ev, more like pluto. oh, burn.

ThePensive said...

Interestingly enough, there was actually a volleyball game going on while I was playing Quidditch. I didn't go over there, but I do get the feeling I would have been found sorely lacking in volleyball skillz.

Camilla said...

That's pretty cool about the card shuffling thing, especially the powers of two. Did you find anything else? I haven't done any more trials, but I found a good paper about it if you want the answers: http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/art_of_playing_cards/how_to_win_at_poker.htm

Camilla said...

Wait some of it was cut off. http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/art_of_playing_cards/how_to_win_at_poker.htm

Camilla said...

Argh! Okay, just google, "how to win at poker and other science lessons" and click the second link. I don't know how to fit the entire URL here. I suppose I could use a hyperlink. But I don't know how to do that either.