Saturday, June 30, 2007

Leaving in a Mazda.

I'm home, if only for a moment. I just got back from youth conference and i'm a little overwhelmed by the enormity of the task that stands between me and the rest of my vacation: Packing up all my stuff. So instead i'm going to take a break for a bit and post on my sadly neglected blog.


Youth Conference was amazing. Like really really awesome, it makes me wish i were going to byu in some ways, which i imagine being similar to four years of youth conference. I think i made the right choice with the U, but being in a big Mormon bubble is actually pretty comforting from time to time. Also, i see now a bit more how easy it is to go away for a weekend and realize what you really want in life is different from what you imagined it was, even without brainwashing. We had some good lessons about dating, a topic i wrote about extensively in my real journal, but one that i'll probably save for a later date (ew, accidental pun). We also had an interesting little lesson about Hazardous Materials, i.e. drugs, alcohol, caffeine (which, by the way, is another example of the uselessness of the i before e rule, especially when not modified to fit neighbor and weird, but i digress) which isn't really a problem for me, but i learned a couple things none the less. We also had a great discussion with Brother Thordinson (who's name i can only half remember, i know it starts with Thor, cus that's awesome) who reminds me distinctly of Bill Murray in What About Bob, he's funny. He talked about who we are, and all that stuff, which is always good. Lets see, that night we had a dance, it was actually the second dance, but the first one isn't really worth talking about. The second one is worth talking about for a couple reasons, mostly because it was my last youth dance. There may or may not be more to talk about later, right now i'll just say it was a fun last dance, and i'm glad it, instead of others i've had, was my last. Anyway, moving on, we also did a service project on friday, where we made care packages for soldiers in Iraq, and wrote letters. I decided it would be weak to write it in a way that suggested i support the Iraq war, but i think i made a pretty decent letter. It's kinda wack, cus we're giving them tiny bits of candy. I'm sure soldiers are grateful for what they get, but i dunno, it seemed pretty cheap. So whatever. That night we had our keynote speaker, which was really really cool.

Mario Facione, an ex-mafia member and current member of the church from michigan. He's an awesome guy. I dunno, it's hard to describe how cool that was, but he had a great life story, and a great humor about him. Also, anytime he described any conversation or discussion he had i couldn't help but thinking about how the mafia would discuss something. And he had a sweet italian/Michiganite accent, so that was cool.

Saturday we packed up, had a good little Q and A type thing on church, social, and personal issues. Then we had our Testimony meeting, which was really good. And then we watched a cheesey but good movie that they had made about youth conference. All around it was definitely one of the best youth conferences i've been to, maybe even better than Nauvoo, although the food was lacking, and the game room was closed. I have no complaints, it was definitely the best way i could have spent 3 days.

So! despite the title, my bags are not yet packed, and i am far from ready to go. So i'm gonna go work on that....i guess, man, it's crazy. Oh well, more on that later too. My computer needs to get put up, along with the majority of my clothing and belongings. So adieu, adieu, until i next get my hands on a computer (which may be quite a while)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dude... are you seriously in town right now???