Friday, July 13, 2007

Notes from the Underground

I find myself in the basement of the student union with no way out and the torturous smell of unobtainable food drifting on the wind. Luckily there's a rockin' iMac to keep me company. My parents are in a movie until 4:45, and i don't feel like braving public transportation just to wait outside the planetarium while they watch IMAX. So, in the mean time, i thought i'd post a bit of an update on my vacation.

So, as is my custom, i'm going to work backwards, because that's how i am. Today i had orientation, or half of orientation, i came to late to get the beginning, and so ii'm going to get that tomorrow. Orientation was fun, i found myself reminded of how shy i can be at times, but that's alright. I got a free t-shirt and a frisbee, which i'm sure i'll give away (the frisbee, the t-shirt is too lame to give away, but ii'll probably work out or somthing in it) We had some very typically utah lunch, which was ok. i registered for a few of my classes, and i got into the honors program, although i probably won't be in the honors dorm, which is too bad, we'll see though, she said there may be a bed open for one guy, that'd be cool.

I was the only person in my orientation group that was majoring in math. go me.

Yesterday was the last day of the reunion. The reunion was good, but not the best, and quite possibly the worst, although that's still pretty good. The food was awful for the most part, and the activities were good at best. there was really no where for us to meet, or play games, except some of the time, but those times were great. I got to ride a horse, the second time in my life, although this horse was really rebellious, she would stop whenever possible to eat grass, and there was very little i could do to stop it, but that was ok, it made my ride a lot more fun than anybody else's, since everybody else was just sitting on the horse riding in a line. The rodeo could have been fun, but the only cool event, the barrel racing, was cancelled. weak.

Before the reunion we went backpacking with a couple of my uncles and a few of my cousins. That was great. We went on a hike way way up in the mountains, and we saw amazing views and hung out with mountain goats. They were literally less than 10 feet away, and not at all afraid of us. To get back down we had to climb down this nearly vertical slope. There were big areas where there was still snow, so we skied down those (well, there were no skis, so i guess technically we shoed.) that was really fun. We dropped 1000 feet in less than an hour and in about 200 horizontal feet. Then we swam in a lake, it was very cold (there was snow melting into it) but it was great.

On the drive out we went to a few cool places, possum kingdom lake, where we saw deer, and an owl, and we were almost struck by lightning. We also went to Guadeloupe National park, carlsbad caverns, roswell (which was really dissapointing, but i'm glad i went) and sitting bull falls which is a waterfall in the middle of the deserts of new mexico. It's been a pretty fun vacation all in all. tomorrow i stat the drive back, and i'll be 'home' (i really don't know where home is right now) on monday probably. That's about all from me. Peace.

2 comments:

Camilla said...

I'm a little disturbed that you listed almost getting struck by lightning in the list of all the cool things that happened. But everything else sounded fun- by the way, I updated my Mii, and it looks much more unsettlingly like me. I still left the question mark, though, so you can feel free to edit it further.

Anonymous said...

you're home!!!! yay!!! and awesome hangout began tonight... but it is not near done. oh no.