Monday, November 12, 2007

Loads off my back:

So far the past 24 hours has just been full of happy discoveries. First, talking to my mom, i found out that the house is sold and we're completely out of debt. Woo!

Then i found out that, contrary to what i had discovered earlier that day, the wisdom tooth study that pays hundreds of dollars is not a myth, it just isn't going through the university. It's actually an anesthesia test where they're using something other than codeine to see how it works, in search of a pain killer that doesn't run the risk of doubling as a patient killer. I'm a little wary of drug tests, but i think i'm going to call and see what the deal is, because it seems legit; it's a real oral surgeon and getting paid to have my wisdom teeth removed would be pretty stellar.

This morning, after rolling out of bed into calculus, i found out that i got a 100 on my midterm, which made me tres happy. Ever since the beginning of the year i've been worried about failing that class, not cutting it as a math major, and losing my scholarship, especially since technically i wasn't supposed to take that class, having only a 3 on the BC Calc test. I do need to really learn Maclauren series, which i've always struggled with, it being the last thing we learned, during a time when i was quickly losing my motivation in school. So yeah, that made me pretty happy.

Then, i came back and showered (i really don't know how i'd live without showers, i think without them, hygiene problems aside, i'd quickly devolve into a stressed out mess), ate, and decided to tackle the financial issues between me and the university. Basically over the past couple months i've been baffled by how much money i'm owing the university, and it just hasn't been adding up. Before college i had figured that i'd make it through the entire first semester with a few hundred to spare, not accounting for book costs and random spending, but book costs and random spending aside, i found myself owing the university 1600 dollars. This wasn't helped by the fact that MTA has yet to give me the 750 dollars they owe me, but even without that, it shouldn't have been that much.

Well, today i discovered that instead of giving the money to me to give to housing like i had been expecting, they credited the extra money back to my mom's credit card, in the amount of 1500 or so dollars. So now everything makes sense, my housing bill is paid for, and i just have to wait for the card to be processed before i can register for classes.

Huge sigh o' relief.

In other news, life has been pretty average. We drove down to provo on a whim on friday night and hung out with some people that my friends knew. At one point we ended hanging out in the apartment complex that amy had lived in once upon a time, which was thoroughly surreal. I thought about calling jessie or buckley, but i don't know how i would feel about my cousin calling me at 11 o'clock on a friday night to see if i wanted to hang out, so yeah. Also, BYU honor code is surprisingly constraining when you're not expecting to get kicked out of the dorms at midnight, and then the apartments at 1:30. So we went to denny's and got some food and then drove home.

Saturday was way fun, we had the funnest football game ever involving a really very clever fake punt that we ran about 40 yards for a touchdown (although the refs didn't give us the touchdown and we had to run it for half a yard) we beat wyoming 50-0 in what the opposing coach had called a guaranteed win for wyoming. It's really a shame Utah had such a rough early season, or else we would be in 2nd with BYU in first, our last game deciding the winner, but alas.
So that's been my last few days, i'm pretty happy right now, it's a shame i have physics in an hour. Oh, and i bought more contacts over the weekend, it's great to have them again, although my eyes had gotten mostly used to glasses, and it's weird, but my glasses aren't quite the right prescription, and they're crooked, so it's nice to be able to see better again. So yeah, good stuff all in all.

~An Unladen Swallow

2 comments:

caitlin said...

I did what MTA said to do in the letter for the money, and it got credited a couple of weeks after I started school. Even before Holmes gave me money for getting a good ACT score, they had credited that moolah.

mrdudm said...

So I am reading a list of the top 10 most impressive single game performances. And who do I see sitting at number 9? Utah for their win over UCLA. Though State is on that list too! But its because LSU beat us so bad, its sad.