Saturday, November 24, 2007

What's this? Ammon on vacation but not bored?

Today was surprisingly eventful. Perhaps not exceptionally productive, but at least full of accomplishments. I woke up at 1pm, ate some breakfast and watched the second two discs of scrubs season 6, having watched the first last night. Then Tim im'd me and we went down to Dick's and took another crack at the rock wall, which this time around i totally beat. My forearms aren't nearly as sore this time either, which seems to be indicative of a certain bit of progress. After i climbed my forearms didn't look skinny, which is something that hasn't really happened in the past decade, so that was kinda cool. I must admit that despite being confident and suave in all other respects, i am a little overly conscious of having such tiny wrists. It's not something i lose sleep over or anything, but yeah.

I've realized that generally my Blog and my Journal are in direct competition, and generally the one i write in second gets a lower quality account of my thoughts and musings, and my increased consistency of writing in my journal may be contributing to a lack of quality and quantity in my blog, but i figure my journal will be more likely read by descendents and such, although i imagine my blog will still be around, barring some collapse in the internet and/or google infrastructure. Anyhow:

After climbing i came back and finished reading Freakonomics, having read the first chapter last night. That pretty much was my day, but i'd say it was a good day.

Freakonomics had a section on baby names and their social implications, and as it turns out, Amy and Katie are among the top 20 whitest girls names. As it happens, all my sisters respective significant others have names on the whitest boys names list (Dylan, Colin, and Logan)

reading through i spotted a few other names that are native to my family, so i concluded that my family is very very white. Go figure.

It's interesting how a single moment can have such a profound influence on the rest of your life. None of those moments happened to me today, but i did remember a few of them.

Herein lies the problem with this blog. It, unlike my journal, is written not for an audience per se, but certainly in front of one. I mean it's listed right over there >
not to mention the variety (vicissitude is a fun word, btw) of random people who might happen to come across it, and future people i'll meet who will probably see it. I read my Latin Teacher, the venerable Davy Jones', blog, which had months of really fascinating stuff that i'm sure he never planned on any of his students reading, especially since in the hands of certain students it could have led to some very serious problems between him and the murrah administration...hm, there was a point to this tangent...
right: People read my blog, and so i don't say quite as much. It's not that i'm hiding things from people really, just some things aren't polite conversation, which is why i have yet to post about the rather surreal experience that i was privy to in the midnight hours of tuesday night, or why i'm not mentioning some of the random instances that have forever changed my habits in some way or another. And then of course there are somethings that i probably am hiding from people, at least things that i wouldn't bring up without a bit of prodding, and of course, the things that would logically follow that thought to support that statement are the very things that i'm not really wanting to say.

Freakonomics was an interesting book for me to read, or rather, it's an interesting time for me to read freakonomics, since for the past few weeks i've been thinking about a few interesting questions, and i'm not quite sure how to vocalize them, which is a bit of a problem because they inevitably get worked into papers i write, where they aren't very well illustrated. I just used two verbs in describing writing that really have nothing to do with writing, interesting. Anyway, for one, stemming a bit from the discussions we had with The Things We Carried and Beloved, on the difference between truth and fact, and the readings i've done of plato and aristotle, i want to say that feelings are the truest form of thought we have, but then that poses some problems, because i don't really want to say emotions are more relevant than rational thinking, but there's definitely a difference in my mind between feelings and emotions, in that emotions are much more temporary, but feelings are much more consistent...or something.

Also, why is it in church when people are asked to volunteer to say the prayer there's almost always this long awkward silence. I doubt most of the people in there are in a position where they don't like praying, or don't feel comfortable praying. I guess it might be a symptom of a general fear of speaking in front of other people, but i don't think that's really what it is...i dunno.

There was something else i was going to poorly elaborate upon, but now i don't remember so much...i should write outlines for these things, seeing as they're longer and more eloquent than a lot of essays i write, though definitely less correct as far as spelling and grammar go.

Well that's all for me tonight, i've been writing this for a rather long while, and i need to go to sleep. 10 Hours from now i expect the Utes to be mopping the floor with BYU, and i'll need to be awake to watch that.

fin

2 comments:

Kate said...

Do you have any suggestions for baby names to spice up our super white family tree?

Unknown said...

Interesting thoughts about truth and emotions etc. Be careful, or you'll find yourself doing philosophy and having people wonder about your future...