Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Utah is a small world

Today i ran into Brian Cory, who was a missionary in jackson. It was a pretty hugecoincidence, although it still is dwarfed by running into our next door neighbor in utah, that was unexpected in the extreme.

Anyway, I'm back in utah, and it feels good. I like my little world that is my room, it'll be fun to have a slightly larger world someday, but it's good.

Like so.


Anyway, so the flight back was rough. I had to wake up at 4am, and then my mom drove me to new orleans. We got to the air port probably around 5:30. For it being unreasonably early, the airport was packed. The lined to security doubled back and fourth about 5 times, and about 5 minutes after i got there there was a line that stretched all the to inside the door, which was probably like 50 yards. My plane was an hour late because the crew had to sleep, which was probably good since i didn't get through security until a few minutes before my plane was supposed to leave. After about an hour the pilot and crew got there and we took off just as the sun was coming up. The flight itself was fine, we made good time and got into utah more or less as scheduled. I took the public transportation, which was actually pretty great. The bus takes you to within about 3 blocks of the trax, which is actually a lot worse than it sounds. Blocks in salt lake are an eighth of a mile, and so half a mile of dragging my 100 pounds of baggage through the mostly plowed sidewalks turned out to be fairly tiring. Once i got to the trax though it was great, the train goes about as close to the dorms as you could ask. this is where it got hard though, even though it's only a five or so minute walk, it's all up hill, and the university of utah is not as diligent in plowing the sidewalks, so the wheels weren't doing so much. This on top of 1 hour of sleep, no food in 8 hours, and a half mile of dragging my luggage about. So yeah, by the time i got up to my room i pretty much felt like dieing, but oh no. I had a class just 20 minutes away. I had to get some food first though so i was late for my first class, or rather my second class since i completely missed my first class cus i was on a plane. And then i had my third class, and then i went back to my room and unpacked and tried to catch my breath.

The rest of my day was pretty good. I met my new roommate, who is very much korean. He barely speaks english which can get a little awkward at time, but he's a really nice guy, and he has only been in the states for 2 weeks, so if his english improves linearly, he'll be proficient in no time. And if it's exponential, he'll be writing classic literature by february.

Monday night we had fhe, which was fun, and then i watched Doctor who, which freaked me out hard. Small children wearing gas masks and saying mommy...terrifying stuff.

today was nice because i feel like i'm back into the routine again. I set up my printer and the wii, put away all my clothes (yesterday they slept on the hammock) and that's pretty much where i am now, watching the new and unimproved Daily Show and Colbert Report. So chya, good stuff. I need to spend around 30 dollars at the little store at the heritage center to get rid of all my meal plan money before it disappears with my new meal plan, so yeah. Hopefully something will happen tonight other than watching tv, but i haven't watched tv in 3 weeks, so i'd live.

~The Writers Guild of Room 53107

Post Script: I changed my blog to make it a little more cheery. That dark thing was far too emo.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like your hammocky thing. that is a hammock, right?

sorry your flight/traveling was sucky.

mrdudm said...

How big is your whole room?

Kate said...

I had that same chair in my dorm room at BYU, and way more often than I should have, I would think I was falling backwards when it would lean back. So be careful. It makes you look super lame when flail your arms for no good reason. I blame that chair for my college failure.

Ammon said...

hah, that's happened to me a lot.

Even worse though is when you already are leaning back and then you try to lean back some more and fall over. Then you look even more stupid.

caitlin said...

Yay for lighter colors. Boo for no more visiting. You do get to teach someone about the states though, and that's always fun.

mrdudm said...

They use those chairs at State too.