Friday, March 16, 2007

Movies Review 8-10

I've watched three movies in the past two days, so here goes, i'm going to rate these out of 10, because i feel like it.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
One of my favorite plays that we've read for english, Ros and Guil has a really great plot and a really fun set up. The movie version is not quite as good as the play i don't think, but i shouldn't compare. It was a really good movie, Gary Oldman was great. So were richard dreyfuss and tim roth, but i liked Rosencrantz a lot more. The dialogue was great, and the word tennis was really cool. All in all a really good movie, i figure a 8 is good.

A Prairie Home Companion
I'd seen this movie before, but i think it gets better the second time. Garrison Keiller is amazing as always, i think i could listen to him talk for days. Kevin Kline is terribly funny as Guy Noir, and Dusty and Lefty are great as well. The plot for this movie seems just a tad lacking, but it's a nice final movie for Robert Altman. The part of the Dangerous Woman seems just a little superfluous, but i really like her character, and she is portrayed really well. The only thing that keeps this movie from being perfect is Lindsey Lohan. I dunno whether i don't like her, or whether i don't like or character, but she was just unnecessery and annoying. She can't sing that well, and her final song was kinda lame. If it wasn't for her this movie could be much greater, but she really robs it of the smooth, calm, witty humor of A Prairie Home Companion. Anyway, 9/10 for this one to.

Raising Arizona
This movie was really great. I'm a big Nicholas Cage fan, and i really liked the very slapstick comedy. I also really likes some of the references, or rather the places that were referenced in later movies. Dapper dan wound up in O Brother, Where art thou? and even though i can't find anyone mentioning this online, i'm pretty positive that the scene where the biker guy is riding up is a reference to Ghost Rider, a favorite comic of Cage, and was later referenced in Ghost Rider, where the little lizard bursts into flames. So yeah, i thought that was cool. All in all it was just a very funny movie and fun to watch. I'll give it 10, although it definitely wasn't my favorite movie, i really liked it.

1 comment:

Camilla said...

The part in Raising Arizona when either Nick Cage or his friend (I can't remember which) raises up his arm during the fight and scrapes his hand on the ceiling of the trailer is so funny, it makes me laugh out loud. I just also watched R&G are dead last week (weird coincidence) and I liked it, but I couldn't understand all the dialogue because of the deep accents, so I missed some of the clever parts I think.